WCNC reported on November 12, 2019 that: “...marijuana enforcement varies across the state, which means the same offense could be dismissed in one county and lead to a criminal record in another.”
What complicates matters further is the fact that law enforcement officers in some counties are charging folks with possession of marijuana when they are in possession of “something that appears to be marijuana” and leaving the courts to settle the charges.
Here are some quick tips:
- Don’t smoke cannabis or hemp in your car, and if you are transporting either, keep it in a sealed container in the trunk.
- Never consent to a search of your car or your person, even if you are not in possession of cannabis. If you do not consent, the officer must either release you or detain you and attempt to get a warrant. Refusing consent does not give the officer grounds to obtain a warrant or further detain you.
- You have the right to remain silent - you should say no more than “I do not consent to a search of my car or person” and you may ask to contact an attorney if you choose.
- Ask if you are free to leave.
- Do not be hostile or physically resist arrest if officers determine they have cause to arrest you.
For a more detailed discussion, read our full blog post: https://www.ncnorml.org/understanding-and-protecting-your-rights-how-to-deal-with-the-police/
NC NORML cares about your safety - help us advocate for safe access for North Carolinians:
- Celebrate 4/20 all month long by participating in our 4/20 Membership Drive. After all - what better time to organize our friends to help us in our cannabis reform mission! We recognize that this is a time of great financial uncertainty for too many people, so we understand that donating money may be difficult. Please keep reading for other ways to support the movement to legalize. https://www.ncnorml.org/become-a-member/
- Share the link above to encourage your network of friends to join as well.
- Make sure we have your county for targeted actions specific to your state legislators by signing up here: www.ncnorml.org/get-involved/
- Put your unique skills to use by joining a NC NORML Committee. Some committees require as little as 2-4 hours of your volunteer time a month. Take a few minutes to read more about the different committee participant positions available from Communications to Events to Legislative & Education here: https://www.ncnorml.org/help-wanted/
- Please sign our petition to legalize cannabis in NC (and share it with your friends): https://tinyurl.com/Please-Sign-Our-Petition
- Sign up at www.ncnorml.org/get-involved/ so we can reach you with specific information on your representatives.
- Stay up-to-date by checking in on our website www.ncnorml.org and following NC NORML on social media:
- Facebook facebook.com/NCNORML
- Instagram www.instagram.com/ncnorml
- YouTube youtube.com/c/NCNORML (subscribe to be notified of new videos!)
- Twitter twitter.com/NC_NORML