The current draft emphasizes fair, regulated markets; public health, human rights and sustainable development. The legislation would legalize adult use, scientific and investigative use, and medical, pharmaceutical and industrial uses. People would be granted permits to home grow. About 20% of cultivation licenses would go to farmers in areas where cannabis was eradicated under prohibition. Associations of 2-20 people would be allowed to grow 4 plants per member. Cannabis products would be sold in plain, non-branded child-proof packaging made of sustainable materials. Smoking/vaping of cannabis would be prohibited wherever tobacco smoking/vaping is prohibited.3
As translated by Transform,4 the Supreme Court press release states “that the fundamental right to the free development of the personality allows the persons of legal age to decide – without any interference – what kind of recreational activities they wish to carry out and protect all the actions necessary to materialize that choice,“ and, “…the effects caused by marijuana do not justify an absolute prohibition on its consumption.” It’s time for everyone here in the U.S. to recognize that cannabis prohibition is an unconstitutional infringement of our rights!
- Get your 2020 NC NORML Membership at our new options here – https://tinyurl.com/NCNORMLMember
- Our next Board Chat is scheduled for Thursday, January 16, 8:00 PM! Follow our YouTube channel to make sure you’re notified when we begin: youtube.com/ncnorml
- If you aren’t on our email list or have friends, family, and neighbors who aren’t, sign up at ncnorml.org/get-involved/ (NOTE: If you already completed the form and didn’t know who your reps were or their positions, you can re-submit it. We will take care of cleaning up duplicates.)
- You can also stay up-to-date by following NC NORML on Facebook facebook.com/NCNORML, Instagram www.instagram.com/ncnorml, YouTube youtube.com/c/NCNORML, or Twitter twitter.com/NC_NORML and check in on our website at www.ncnorml.org
- Help spread the word by sharing these weekly actions!